18 December 2008

surviving the pre-Holiday rush

I have never been adept at thriving in a stressful environment. I used to break down at some point, so I've developed survival techniques that have been handy since my pre-teen years, when I was already given serious responsibilities at home. They don't include my last-resorts like smoking or going somewhere private to scream, but they have been helpful, thank God, especially during the pre-Holiday hustle and bustle.



  1. Breathe. We forget, believe me. A friend once pointed out how it happens: try sitting and elevating both your feet about 6-8" at least. Hold it for 15 seconds. Were you breathing? That's what happens in moments of stress. Take deep breaths, and don't forget to exhale.
  2. Pray. Good old, good old. I have heard this advise a thousand times, but because I'm a control freak, I forget and just try to manage everything on my own.
  3. Smile -- from my heart. I just go and find a place inside of me where there's some sunshine.This has an amazing effect on my spirit. It often makes me realize I don't do it often enough. Just go easy on the type of smile you have on your face when you're around angry people.
  4. Take a walk. This is what my sister and I call "fresh air", because someone once suddenly left our miserable company and came back more equipped to bear with us. When we asked where she came from, she just replied, "fresh air," but boy was she in a better mood. We tried it and it works! It's ok to cry while you're at it, too.
  5. Have my cup of coffee. Some might need tea, a martini, or a beer. I just have coffee. Not while walking or purposely striding towards some place. I sit down and enjoy it. A lot happens then -- cleat thinking, relaxing breaths, and a few minutes of rest. Then I'm good to go.
When it gets unbearable, take a break, or risk saying or doing something you'll regret later on. Sometimes being stressed, tired, and/or angry is worse than being drunk. You can't imagine how many people you'll hurt when you lash out. Number one -- yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good advice, Mitzi. Even in the everydays of it all. :)


Tata