22 October 2008

Here comes Christmas!

Christmas is coming! Global warming may be doing strange things to our 'seasonal' changes, no matter that they're just a couple anyway. Economics, too, make it difficult for many to stay focused and excited . That's why I'm glad that Christmas carols stay as predictable as ever. There's nothing like hearing these to herald this time of the year. Sleigh bells ringing and the mostly joyful melodies might make some panic (spending time!), but these carols almost never fail to brighten my mood, no matter how foul and no matter what time of the year. Because there are so many, I can't have only 5 faves. Here are my top 10:

  1. Angels We Have Heard On High. I distinctly remember singing along to the classic orchestra-choir version while viewing the Nativity diorama in Greenhills when I was much, much younger, and doing the same thing with my kids when they were toddlers. "Gloooooooooooo-hohohohohohoho--reeee-uhhhh...."
  2. What Child Is This. A solemn-happy fave. Keeps in mind the Reason for the Season without being as senti and slow as "Silent Night".
  3. The Christmas Song. I have always loved this. I sing this throughout the year, and it's one of the only songs I can sing from start to finish, so when the microphone is passed, this is it. So what if we don't roast chestnuts on an open fire?!
  4. Baby It's Cold Outside. Flirty, witty, and --oops -- naughty carol. This I think tells all about the romance of the season. Cold weather is snuggle-and-whatever weather. I like the versions of Diane Reeves and Lou Rawls and the one in the comedy film Elf.
  5. Hark, the Herald Angels Sing. The triumph of His birth. Similar lyrics to #1. This is heavy with nostalgia of my childhood Christmases. Always brings tears to my eyes when sung during Christmas Eve mass.
  6. Payapang Daigdig. First got to hear and learn to sing this song when I was a college freshman. Our org went caroling and this was our finale, I think. It's a solemn song that brings back a rush of happy fun memories. It's the only time "payapa" and college freshman year can be found in the same sentence and bring out both laughter and sighs, too.
  7. Do They Know It's Christmas. Recorded as part of the Band-Aid/Live Aid awareness program. Do they still play this on the radio? Loved it as soon as I heard it. The British sound, social realism, and relevance through music is so 80's, but I'm proud of it, even if It reveals my age. Too bad it's still relevant today.

  8. Christmas Time Is Here. From David Benoit's Charlie Brown Christmas album, this carol so makes me so feel the senti-ness of season. Even if we have no snowflakes, sleigh bells, and firesides, the joyful-memories, family-growing-near, hope-that-we-would-see-such-spirit-though-the-year, works for me.
  9. All I Want for Christmas Is You. I know it's Mariah, but I love this song, especially after the movie Love, Actually. It bumped off a couple of my other faves.
  10. This Christmas. I like Yutaka's version. It's linked to my relationship with my hubby, mainly because I first heard it when we met and also because we married in the merry Christmas month.
There are many other more popular ones, and you might wonder, what happened to The First Noel, et. al., or even to the Jackson's Give Love on Christmas Day. There's John Lennon's So This Is Christmas. And, oh, there were those Ray Conniff versions! Well, they are not in my top 10, and some belong to an altogether different top 5 list. Coming soon. Oh the weather outside is frightful...

No comments: