04 November 2008

Short of being 007

There's this new TV ad for a sound system where Daniel Craig's James Bond is standing, cool as usual, and he'd have a gun shot, an explosion, and falling debris, if I remember right, coming at him from all sides. After glancing at where he got hit, checking out the explosion behind him, pausing a bit to regain his balance, he would just keep standing there with this determined and pointed sexy but powerful glare and 007-poise, battered and all.



He reminds me of the Energizer bunny that just keeps going on and on and on. When it does stop, it's just to pause for a change of batteries, then on it goes again.

I wish I could be James Bond and the Energizer Bunny. But there are days when I believe with all my heart that it's all nice and admirable, but not happening in real life. Then I wake up and it's another day, and I have no choice but to go on again.



So, ok, James Bond I am not, and the Bunny's batteries for the human soul I can only wish for but never get. What do I do to go on then, because even on days I wish the world would stop for a bit, it doesn't? And even if I want to take it all out on my workout, it's not always convenient for me to run to the gym whenever I want to even if it was to save my life. Here are my top 5 no-brainer solutions for the moment:
  1. Sigh. This is one annoying habit of my mom's, which I now totally understand. I used to think, how'd she get so dejected? Why does she have to make others feel so bad with her *tsk* -and- *sigh* combo. Makes me think, too -- were we, her family, and life in general that bad? *sigh*
  2. Take a deep breath, count to ten, then slowly exhale. There is wisdom in the cliche, "take a deep breath" and "count to ten" advices. I know I'm saving myself from the consequences of stress, i.e., keeping it all inside or clenching my teeth (think cardiovascular diseases, maybe an aneurism, stomach ulcers, dental problems and wrinkles).
  3. Have a good cry or sleep it off. This is just a healing phase, so I don't, even when tempted, cry or sleep for days. A power nap will do.
  4. Pray. At least I know even in moments when it's me against the world, I have God's shoulder to cry on.
  5. Take a time out. Being a mom, the central station of everything and everyone at home, doesn't make it easy to take moments to seethe or simmer. I have learned to master the art of doing it in 5 minutes, but I do need to take myself physically out of the 'crime scene'.
When I do have the luxury to recover and recharge beyond 5 minutes, I do the usual top 5 guaranteed perk-up solutions:
  1. Get a haircut.
  2. Buy something pretty.
  3. Get a massage.
  4. Take a long brisk walk.
  5. Work out.
I may not have gotten a new set of batteries, or even the power of James Bond, but many times all or any of my top 5 solutions are all I can afford, so that's that, and I'm good to go. *sob*, *sniff*, 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1... *sigh* Now where was I?

No comments: