06 January 2011

reading time


Still on the fresh-start/new-chapter mode, I have to point out one observation. While I read a lot of books in 2010 (more of that in another post), it felt like I had less time for reading because it took me more time than usual to finish most of the books I did get to read.  Could it have been that...
  • I'm becoming a slow reader?
  • I'm losing interest in books?  *gasp*  Noooo!
  • I'm overloaded with work?  Show me the money, haha!
  • I'm becoming busier with homemaking and parenting? 
In fairness, these books happen to be long.  But that's another point altogether.




Those are all probably right, but although I've slowed down with books, and  eliminated the chore of monitoring (in my work in PR, that's reading 9 national broadsheets, 4 weekly magazines, countless glossy magazines, for updates on news, my clients, their competitors, and trends in general),  I know for sure I've been doing a LOT of reading! 

I have been reading for hours, but instead of a book of the moment, the papers and magazines, I've been reading:

1.  friends' status updates, notes, and links
2. links to blogs, websites, and online publications in tweets
3.  daily events, interests, thoughts, opinions, feelings, still on Twitter  (makes me feel like a stalker sometimes)
4. friends' blogs, leading to other people's blogs

    http://www. you know the drill...
5. Fave TV shows: transcriptions, updates, synopses



My computer -- via the Internet --  has become one large archive of news on people and entities of every industry and interest possible!  So there, with a sigh of relief, I've given myself the comfort of knowing that I still read.  A lot.  All day, sometimes. But I dread the day I will no longer sit (or lie down) and relax with a cup of my fave brew of the moment, to lose myself in a new book because I will be reading said books online.

No comments: