06 January 2011

Resolutions: should I bother?

 
I needed two cups of freshly brewed espresso to begin day one of 2011. After a quick review of my previous years' resolutions and what had become of them, I made a mental note not to make a New Year's resolution.  Yeah, right.  Many of us do anyway, deep in our minds.  Secretly.  How can anyone pretend New Year is just another day? I can't. Just too much celebration and revelry. And there's something exciting about starting fresh.  But I have a problem with fresh starts sometimes.  Beginning a new year for me is like:


  • A car on neutral.  I need momentum, a push.
  • A new notebook.  It's just too difficult to write on the fresh, clean first page.  No mark, no crease, not even pressure points from a previous page. Just clean, clear paper. Who wants to mess that up?
  • Diving into an empty swimming pool. Many times, it's like, who wants to dive in first?  Oh no, does that mean I'm a fence-sitter?
  • First day of school, ever. I was excited, proud of myself, but apprehensive, skeptical... ok, I was also scared.
  • Trying an exotic dish for the first time.  
I have to get over these things.  Maybe after my coffee. Tomorrow.  I know it's been 5 days since the year started. But, by now I know what I want to happen this year, and I can feel "them" forming and happening as I think about them more and more.  I'll put it all down in writing to make my 2011 official tomorrow.  Speaking of which -- I should include avoiding procrastination in my list.

No comments: