12 February 2011

Building the "independent" status



Always cover your *ss.  That was the stern and sober advise I got from a friend who helped get me started in a new line of work, which would turn out to be my career till today. His admonition turned out to be words of wisdom that applied beyond the point we were then discussing. It has helped me throughout my journey towards working independently, also known as "freelance".  A dream and work scheme that I had for quite some time, and which sort of just happened to suit what would be my lifestyle.

My earliest memory of clearly wanting and planning to be my own boss was when I was deep in corporate life. While struggling, climbing, basking at a certain point, and trying to stay relevant, I made a vow to be independent by the time I hit 40.  I set my sights on that age in order to be realistic, but I knew it was achievable even earlier.  My bosses at that time were just in their late 30's, so they served as my inspiration.

I first attempted at age 25. Tired of putting so many hours of work in, and for what, I thought I could put my talents (inborn and developed) and learned expertise to better use. I set up a baking business. Made-to-order, so I would have the free time to do stuff one simply has to give up to be a part of the nine-to-five lifestyle. I enjoyed the profits and benefits of my professional marketing and promotions-enhanced manual labor. The drawback was I worked mostly at home (at my parents' house), and I began to miss being out there and longed for the independence only achievable away-from-home at that time. A friend's invitation to help his company with marketing - part-time, of course - was just too alluring to resist. Before long, part-time became full-time, and I was back into the life I thought I'd abandoned.


The next opportunity was totally unplanned. I delivered my first child earlier than scheduled and had the entire maternity leave to grow attached to him. Slowly, I acknowledged that this what I wanted to do full-time and whatever marketing, writing, organizational work I had to do would have to come 2nd. Till the next  pregnancy, and the next. 


During this time away from the corporate loop, I found my true line of expertise, kept my vision of becoming an independent professional someday, and devoted what extra time I had to developing a plan to get there. What I thought I needed were:
  1. Professional Development: research, learning, monitoring, training. 
  2. Real Experience
  3. Contacts
  4. Credibility and Credentials
  5. Focus on a Goal
These five got me to where I am today, doing what I've wanted to do, independently, a.k.a. Freelance. Since my mid-30's I've enjoyed none of the usual benefits of being employed, but I've had all the benefits of being job-less: my own time, my own income (no work-no pay), no stressing about overhead, summer vacations, and being with my family. In the years I've spent since launching this career in Public Relations and Writing, I've learned that independence has a price, but this price is attainable and manageable as long as you are equipped.  People will discredit you, take advantage of your position, or even belittle the work you set up. Here are my top 5 tips to keep your independent work alive and thriving:
  • Professionalize your work.
  • Remember about covering your *ass? In this case, that means get the necessary official documentation, permits, and licenses, and equipment. Learn how to draft and read contracts and always cover your backside with one. This makes your freelance professional work legit.
  • Work for industry accreditation if not recognition.
  • Join organizations and get to know your industry and your peers/competitors. Learn from them as much as you learn about them. Attend events that matter. Then go find a comfortable place for yourself in this melee.
  • Stay relevant.
  • Enroll in courses, read up, and be familiar with global trends of all sorts. If you have to be part of a large corporate team for a project or two to do this, it's worth considering. There's always something new to learn, so soak up. Make sure you are consistently effective and competitive, not just in your little circle, but in today's playing field: the globe.
  • Develop your professional image and credentials.
  • Know your worth within the industry and defend this. Your services may not cost as much as a big company's, but that doesn't mean you work for peanuts. Wear these badges proudly.
  • Be visible and accessible.
  • You have to be found via the world's directory: the Internet. A website goes a long way. Don't forget to include how many people/groups have believed in your work.

Today's business landscape has changed. Corporate groups are actually more open to subcontracting several kinds of work to independents. Being on your own, ergo, smaller, doesn't mean you can be treated less professionally.  Equipped with the tools, it's important to just know who you are, what you are able to deliver, and how far you can go doing it, and there's no stopping you from being able to do what you love doing and calling it legit work... without getting your *ss hit in the process.




No comments: