02 March 2011

The Trouble with Writing

Actually, the trouble I encounter happens when I write, not with writing in general. I once posted this bit years ago in another blog:

Writing Rituals
Sometimes, especially when deadlines loom, I find myself facing a blank page in my laptop monitor, waiting for the moment that will spark something in my brain, which, in turn, will send signals to my fingers to start tapping words that bring together a publish-worthy article or at least make enough sense .. for starters. The wait can take forever, and when the spark doesn't come, I just have to coax it out.  A mind map always helps, but apart from that, here are the top 5 ways, which have lately become my writing ritual:
  1. Total silence
  2. For focus. To my ears, that would mean no interruptions from the kids, especially when there is no urgency.  But then again, urgent is relative. 
  3. A game or two 
  4. on my computer (honestly, it takes more).  Backgammon, word games, spider solitaire, pacer racer... or that blox thingy:  http://www.miniclip.com/games/bloxorz/en/  Something monotonous. It helps me concentrate, seriously.
  5. A bath
  6. And then another before I edit what I just finished writing.
  7. Checking email
  8. or chatting a bit. These are actually my procrastination habits, but these fool me into thinking I am getting more distractions out of the way.
  9. Coffee... lots of coffee
  10. I can't write without at least a cup.  (Many times, smoking helps)
Do you have a ritual to get you in the zone for work?
So you'd think I would know better by now, but I still have writing kinks I need to get past, and that's where my trouble starts. It often takes me so long to finish my work that I would sometimes lose my flow altogether. Then, finally relieved to finish my work, I recklessly submit or publish it. And then, I would go over it, find, to my horror, so many typos and other errors. I'd get a mix of shock followed by a really awful gut-wrenching realization of how stupid I was, and wonder, "OMG, what did I do?!" Then I would revise. Too late, but I just have to, when this happens.

My problem is having the edit mode on while I write, and when I realize it, turn it off and failing to put it back on after I write.

I believe it could all be solved if I seriously and fastidiously follow the advise given by Barbara Gonzalez in her creative writing course:
  • Once you find your flow, just write, write, write. 
  • When you're done, step away and do whatever it is that refreshes you -- take a shower, go for a walk, do some crunches or stretching exercises, have a cup of coffee, watch TV a bit, play a computer game, check updates on twitter and facebook. 
  • Then go back to your work and give it a once-over. You'll have a fresh perspective, a refreshed mind, a clearer eye, and then the confidence to say your work is publish-ready.
I just had to do this to remind myself and to continue hoping I would one day (it better be soon) get the habit to stick, so I could finally enjoy writing as much as I should.

1 comment:

adam said...

Journalist Jessica Zafra once said that writing takes discipline, not inspiration. She said if she waited for inspiration, she'll be out of a job! Haha! So, mental block and all - we must write, write, write, especially in the industry we're in. So, keep that coffee handy, and by George, those rituals, too!